7/27/09 Carp!

Go down

7/27/09 Carp!

Post by Jirwin6985 on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:54 pm

I figuared id kick off you fishing report topics for ya Very Happy
So I decided to try my luck at carp fishing again after work. Me and Mike hit up a spot on the Schulkill river I found and we had some success on before so we decided to give it another go and got down there around 6pm. The river was muddy and full of leaves so we had to keep checking our lines but after a about a half an hr i get my first run and pick up my rod only to reel in as fast as i could cause the carp was running right at the bank Shocked After a 5 second battle the carp acually beached himself on the bank downstream from us threw the hook and thrashed back to the water. Another half hr goes by and i hook into a nicer fish and this time he decides to swim directly at me hit were i was standing and throw the hook...i dont know what these fish were thinking but they did that all night. Mike had a few short runs as well one of which managed to steal his bait but no hookups..I managed to land 2 little 10 lbers and missed about 6 fish that either hit the bait and let go imediatly or ran so fast at me i had no chance to get any pressure on them to set the hook. With the incoming thunder storms and lightning flashing we decided to call it early and head home around ten..All in all it was a fun time shooting the sh&t i just with the fish were more cooperative..heres the pics of the only 2 fish landed that night..

Thanks for looking!
Enjoy
Joe
Jirwin6985

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7/27/09 Carp!

Post by Chartreusetea on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:59 pm

Awesome story to go with it! The second carp in your pictures has some sort of weird spot on one of its scales. wonder how that could have happened?

View user profile http://letmefish.formyjob.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Jirwin6985 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:13 am

The section of the river we were fishing is very rocky and frequently the carp with run around into and under anything while they are trying to throw the hook so sometimes they can get banged up..That just a lose scale from the fight..
Joe
Jirwin6985

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chartreusetea on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:16 am

Sounds like you get snagged on those rocks alot. How does that go being on rocks all the time?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jirwin6985 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:18 am

It bites haha....I lose about 50 bucks in sinkers a year finshing the river but its benifits outweigh the disadvantages. Lots of bigger fish to be caught in the river and more areas to fish Very Happy
Joe
Jirwin6985

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by paradaG on Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:43 pm

Chartreusetea wrote:Awesome story to go with it! The second carp in your pictures has some sort of weird spot on one of its scales. wonder how that could have happened?

yeah i noticed that too.. hmmm, weird.. but still some nice fish and a good story to tell.
paradaG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jirwin6985 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:54 pm

paradaG wrote:
Chartreusetea wrote:Awesome story to go with it! The second carp in your pictures has some sort of weird spot on one of its scales. wonder how that could have happened?

yeah i noticed that too.. hmmm, weird.. but still some nice fish and a good story to tell.
Yea sometimes when trying to throw the hook they get banged up against all the rocks on the bottom. Alls that is is a loose scale from getting alittle beat up...Not too uncommon these guys tend to fight anywere from 5 to 20 minutes depending on the size and will do anything within there power to trow the hook...its like hooking onto the bumper of a truck Very Happy
Joe

Jirwin6985

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chartreusetea on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:48 pm

Never knew carps were so aggresive! lol

Back to top Go down

Post by paradaG on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:29 am

Chartreusetea wrote:Never knew carps were so aggresive! lol